A beautiful pattern and some gorgeous fabric. I love working with Nani Iro double gauze, it is so easy to sew, comfortable to wear, and the prints are amazing. I had these two paired in my mind for quite some time, but when I went to cut everything out I realized that the pattern called for much wider fabric. Luckily, I was able to eke out enough space on my 3m of fabric by cutting the skirt pieces on the cross grain.
This was my most satisfying make in a while. Over the month of May I wore at least one handmade item each day and I came to realise that I should be sewing more casual wear as that is what I like to wear on a day to day basis, not pretty dresses.
Immediately after I saw this cardigan pop up on my Instagram feed I downloaded myself a copy, printed it out, and got to sewing. It was such a fast make and I finally got over my fear of my serger ( which I have since broken, yet another lesson that I should buy quality goods. )
And here’s a quick photo of some recent pottery items.
I’ve been thinking about making this dress for a while now. The inspiration started with this pin and evolved a bit when I saw Jen’s Madewell Scout tutorial. I started with Colette’s Laurel pattern and then applied Jen’s instructions for this alteration, using the Scout T’s sleeve pattern piece. One sleeve set in beautifully, but I could not for the life of me get the other to even come close! I have no idea what happened there.
It’s an incredibly comfortable dress and I hope to sew up a striped knit dress to pop underneath soon.
I’ve also been quietly posting my Me Made May photos over on Instagram: @alisonrea
Well, it looks as though it has been over three months since I last posted any of my makes. I’ve been spending most of my creative time in the pottery studio. I have sewn and knit a few things too, but the short, dark and rainy days of winter haven’t inspired me to photograph much. But, this weekend the sun came out and I was inspired to go back to two of my tried and true patterns. Grainline’s Moss Mini Skirt and Deer and Doe’s Datura Blouse.
I’ve had the denim all cut for at least a month now and got to stitching it up earlier this week. It was my third go at putting it together and I think I finally have gotten the hang of the front fly zipper. After completing the skirt I decided I needed a new top to photograph it with. Plus, I had some beautiful raw silk in my closet waiting to be cut into. The Datura blouse came together in a little over two hours, I can be sure of this as it was almost complete in a single Netflix movie. I made a few modifications. I left out the collar, lowered the bust darts, and best of all I used the ingenious instructions for combining the shell and lining of the bodice from Colette’s Rooibos Dress. You may also notice that I added tiny pocket to the top, this design feature was added after I cut a couple small holes in the fabric while trimming my seams!