And, because of the rain I was able to putter away in my sewing studio for much of the weekend without any guilt. I was a little unsure of the shape when Deer & Doe first released this pattern, but after seeing many beautiful versions I decided to give it a try. I am so happy I did, I love it and it is so comfortable to wear.
I had a little trouble with the horizontal pleats. You see, I marked them on the fabric using wax tracing paper. It was only afterwards that I realized that these marks were going to be forever visible if they remained on the outside. So, I put some basting stitches along each line and used the opposite side of the fabric as the right side.
I made two changes to the pattern. First, since the darts on my Datura top were a little too high I lowered the bust darts by about an inch using Megan Nielsen’s tutorial. This worked perfectly and they are exactly where they should be. The second alteration I made was to use the full length for the skirt lining and the lining length on the outer skirt.
I was running out of buttons in my etsy shop, so tonight I took the time to photograph and list a few more. I am a little astonished at how many I have accumulated over the years. I tend to make my buttons with bits of leftover clay at the end of each session in the studio.
I regularly use my buttons in my own sewing and knitting projects and I thought I’d host a little giveaway if anyone is interested in a random assortment of handmade ceramic buttons. Just leave a comment on this post by Friday October 11th if you are interested and I’ll pick someone at random. I’m happy to post my buttons anywhere around the globe.
Now, to see if anyone other than my big brother reads my blog!
Completed! I can’t believe it has taken me this long to knit up a pair of socks. One of my guilty pleasures is sneaking into MEC and buying myself a ridiculously expensive pair of merino SmartWool socks. I found the idea of knitting socks a little intimidating; the yarn is so thin, there are toes and heals to think about, and they were definitely not going to be knit up in an afternoon.
When I came across the book “Socks from the Toe Up” at the local library, I knew it was time to give them a try. I chose the basic, short row toe and heal pattern. The first sock was completed relatively quickly, but I was a little put off by having to knit the exact same thing again. So, the completed sock sat alone for a couple months.
Then, finally, I finished the second sock while sitting in the mist watching for whales on the Johnstone Strait. I seem to knit a lot more when I’m out camping. The sewing maching doesn’t quite pack as well as a set of needles and a ball of wool. Here’s the finished product, my first pair of socks. There are a few gaps in my short row heals, I’m not sure what I was doing wrong. But, they fit and feel fantastic.
I just returned from a short paddling trip in Johnstone Strait, about 6 hours north of home. I was in my element, dressed head to toe in wool and watching for whales. My toque of choice this time around was my newly knitted Tick Tock Toque from Knot Canadian. It’s her first pattern and its free! It was a dream to knit up. I had most of it knit over a pot of tea one Sunday morning. I used a super bulky, yet unevenly bulky, wool from Humming Bee Farm that I bought earlier this summer at Fibrations here in Victoria.
While we failed to spot any whales up close, we spent a night listening to them out on the water. We also lucked out and spent an afternoon paddling alongside a couple hundred pacific white sided dolphins.