Monday, September 30, 2013

This past weekend was WET here on the west coast.

DSC_3628

And, because of the rain I was able to putter away in my sewing studio for much of the weekend without any guilt.  I was a little unsure of the shape when Deer & Doe first released this pattern, but after seeing many beautiful versions I decided to give it a try.  I am so happy I did,  I love it and it is so comfortable to wear.

DSC_3640

I had a little trouble with the horizontal pleats. You see, I marked them on the fabric using wax tracing paper.  It was only afterwards that I realized that these marks were going to be forever visible if they remained on the outside.  So, I put some basting stitches along each line and used the opposite side of the fabric as the right side.

I made two changes to the pattern. First, since the darts on my Datura top were a little too high I lowered the bust darts by about an inch using Megan Nielsen’s tutorial.  This worked perfectly and they are exactly where they should be.  The second alteration I made was to use the full length for the skirt lining and the lining length on the outer skirt.

DSC_3664